February 18, 2010

Ahhhhh… Japan.

Came back from a 56-day trip Japan a little more than a week ago, and I’ve been typing some recollections and reviews of destinations which you can access by using the navigation bar on the right, under the heading JAPAN.

To me, Japan wasn’t foreign - it felt kind of familiar actually, probably because the geography and architecture has the same kind of ‘East Asian look’ like those in Korea or Taiwan and the fact that I’ve heard so much about the culture already.

But to me, Japan is a really endearing country. There have been countless moments in the trip when I just look at what’s happening before me and take a deep breath and say to myself yet again: I could live here. Those instances include: yet another touching and friendly (and occasionally wacky) encounter with a local; listening to the salespeople speak very quickly in honorific language with its very long verb endings; reading the kanji or kana or signs and advertisements and realising that I actually understand what they’re saying most of the time; hearing the Osaka soba seller shout ‘irashai!’ and ‘ookini!’ in that gruff Kansai dialect; taking in the hustle and bustle of Tokyo’s numerous busy subway stations; slurping down a bowl of ramen; relaxing in a hot spring bath in winter; meeting university students in Kanazawa; sitting in a JR train and looking out of the window……

Yes, I could really live here. I guess Japan has really grown on me, all its quirks, idiosyncrasies and above all, the politeness and warmth of its people.

Here’s an overview of my trip itinerary:

16 Dec Arrive in Tokyo
17 Dec – 19 Dec Tokyo
19 Dec Hakone
20 Dec Kawaguchiko
21 Dec – 23 Dec Tokyo
24 Dec Disneysea, stay in Tokyo
25 Dec Nikko
26 Dec – 27 Dec Tokyo
28 Dec Magome, Kiso Valley
29 Dec Tsumago, Kiso Valley
30 Dec – 6 Jan Kyoto
7 Jan Uji
8 Jan – 11 Jan Osaka
12 Jan Nara
13 Jan Takayama
14 Jan Shirakawago, stay in Kanazawa
15 Jan – 16 Jan Kanazawa
17 Jan Himeji, stay in Hiroshima
18 Jan Hiroshima
19 Jan Miyajima, stay in Hiroshima
20 Jan – 21 Jan Fukuoka
22 Jan Beppu, stay in Fukuoka
23 Jan Mt Aso and Kumamoto, stay in Fukuoka
24 Jan Huis Ten Bosch and Nagasaki, stay in Fukuoka
25 Jan Fukuoka
26 Jan Sapporo
27 Jan Otaru, stay in Sapporo
28 Jan – 29 Jan Sapporo
30 Jan Tomamu, stay in Kushiro
31 Jan Kawayu Onsen
1 Feb Abashiri, stay in Asahikawa
2 Feb Asahiyama Zoo, stay in Sapporo
3 Feb Toya and Onuma, stay in Hakodate
4 Feb Hakodate
5 Feb Tokyo
6 Feb Yokohama, stay in Tokyo
7 Feb Tokyo
8 Feb Depart Tokyo

No comments:

Post a Comment