April 22, 2010

Day 58 – 59: Sunny Skies Continue

Life is great when the skies are sunny. It’s been like that for as long as I’ve left the UK, and even in Paris, just across the English Channel, the great weather continues.

Less than perhaps 5 instances of rain in the past 40 days. The rest of the time, warm, sunny and nice. One of the things travelling makes you aware of is the weather. Because you’re out all day, you’re at the mercy of the skies. If it rains, its pretty much sloshing through wetness in cold, damp conditions. You’ll want to head indoors to museums and shopping malls. But when the sun is shining and its no longer freezing, I just want to head outdoors. I treasure sunlight. I love it. I don’t want to be stuck in the middle of the gigantic (and I’m sure equally terrific, just that I’m not in the museum mood at all) Louvre for the entire day while everyone else is lying on the grass under the sunshine. I want to be out there, on the lawn, with a bottle of orange juice, a sandwich and some pain au chocolats, eating, relaxing and enjoying the gorgeous Parisian spring.

I’m doing that so much, its becoming a routine. If you’ve been reading my blog, I guess you’ve noticed that I’ve somehow managed to spend 1 week in Paris hopping from park to park and enjoying the sunshine in places where the locals vastly outnumber the tourists.

And enjoying it too, I must add. Which is why I continued doing that for the past two days.

2nd couchsurfing experience in Paris was great. Stayed with an Australian guy who’s given up his life back in Perth for a year to go around Europe. Nice apartment in a cheap neighbourhood, but one evening he locked himself out by mistake and I guess this turned out to be one of the more memorable couchsurfing experiences in retrospect because we went around worried and considering all possible scenarios before finally managing to contact the landlady to give us the spare key.

Another memorable experience through couchsurfing: my third host in Paris brought me to his friend’s in the suburbs one night and somehow we ended up entering the mansion of a Saudi Arabian prince that was still under construction, climbing up the scaffolding and clamouring up huge piles of sand, and, drink in hand, looking at stars from what felt like the top of the world.

Besides getting a lot of sun, I’ve also enjoyed sunset walks by the River Seine and each time, I’m always amazed. Paris is too beautiful. Ahhhhhhh… I’m not even done with this city yet (1 more week to go) but already I’m thinking when I can come back again.

1 comment: